- prep20 MIN
- cook35 MIN
- ½ cup (140g tub) pizza sauce
- 1 ½ cups (120g) grated tasty cheese
- 100g thinly sliced pepperoni or mild Hungarian salami (Primo brand)
- ½ cup (80g) drained roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup pitted olives, roughly chopped
- Finely grated parmesan & small basil leaves to serve, optional
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 150g cold butter, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- Scrolls are delicious served warm at a party or as an after school snack. To warm place a baking tray into the oven, preheat oven and tray to 180C fan forced. Place scrolls onto the hot tray and warm for 8 minutes.
- For gourmet scrolls, top warm scrolls with a dollop of basil pesto, grated parmesan and extra basil leaves.
Preheat oven 180°C fan forced. Grease and line a baking tray.
To make dough, sift flour into a large bowl. Stir in salt. Add butter and use your fingertips to rub butter into the flour to form fine crumbs. Make a well in the centre. Add milk. Using a flat-bladed knife, gently stir until dough almost comes together. Use floured hands to bring dough together in the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead until the base is smooth. Roll out to a 25cm x 37cm rectangle.
Spread pizza sauce over the dough. Top with cheese, pepperoni, capsicum and olives. Starting from one long side, roll up dough firmly, enclosing filling, to form a log. Trim ends. Cut into 12 x 3cm thick slices. Arrange 1cm apart cut side up, on baking tray.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden. Sprinkle with extra parmesan and basil if you like. Serve.
Scrolls freeze well. Individually wrap scrolls tightly in plastic wrap and place into a snap lock bag. Freeze up to 1 month.
- For spinach, feta and ricotta scrolls: Replace the pizza sauce with spreadable ricotta; the pepperoni with 2 cups of shredded English spinach leaves; the capsicum and olives with 100g feta, crumbled.
- For strawberry, apple and cinnamon sugar scrolls: Replace the salt in the dough with ¼ cup caster sugar; the pizza sauce with strawberry jam; the pepperoni, capsicum olives and cheese with 2 ½ cups tinned apple, chopped. After baking, drizzle scrolls with cinnamon sugar icing.
- For chocolate cheesecake scrolls: Replace the salt in the dough with ¼ cup caster sugar; the pizza sauce with nutella; the pepperoni, capsicum olives and cheese with 250g cream cheese whisked with ½ cup caster sugar and ¼ cup sour cream. After baking, drizzle scrolls with chocolate icing.